After a busy week, you may be looking very forward to a special day at a local salon. For many of us, this is a rare occasion, and it means spending some extra hard-earned cash (and time off) to get pampered. While you may be getting a facial, massage, or a mani-pedi, much of the salon’s offerings are probably centered around hair—whether styling it, cutting it, or removing it.
Most of us have experienced a few bad haircuts so far (in fact, some may even have prompted tears), as well as some eyebrow waxing that has gone askew, but many consumers are completely naïve about the dangers that can lurk in any salon. You may be tempted to walk in to an unknown business to have your nails painted for an important occasion or get ‘the works’ done, but in the process, you could unknowingly be risking your health. Always get references before visiting a new salon and check their credentials as far as licensing and any required sanitation grades.
Here are hazards you should watch out for:
- Waxing – because heat and yes, wax, are involved, there are far too many chances for something to go wrong besides just a lopsided eyebrow. Injury can be caused if wax enters the eyes, or if chemicals used to anesthetize the area drip into the eyes. Burns are one of the most frequent causes of injury though.
- Infection – unfortunately, there is a wide risk for infection whether you are having your nails done, different parts of your body waxed, hair trimmed, or other services. Tools should always be properly sterilized, and you should be extremely careful about having services performed if you have any open sores or cuts.
- Injury – while slipping and falling is a concern after a pedicure, especially, other injuries such as neck or back injuries while leaning to have the hair cleansed or conditioned are common.
- Chemical burns – injury may occur while you are having your hair colored, bleached, straightened, or ‘relaxed.’
- Laser burns – such treatments used to remove hair are another common culprit for burns.
Seek medical help as soon as possible if you have been injured or you suspect a bacterial infection—especially at the site of a toenail or fingernail.
If you have been harmed due to negligence in a beauty salon, please call Heintz & Becker today to consult with skilled injury lawyer. Our attorneys have helped victims from Bradenton, Sarasota, and all over Florida get compensation for their damages and medical expenses. Call us for a free consultation now at 941-748-2916 or contact us online. We are here to help, and if you cannot come to us, we will come to you.
All blogs are written on behalf of Heintz & Becker for informational purposes. These articles should not, however, be considered legal advice, or in any way responsible for creating an attorney/client relationship.