If you have been injured in a car accident recently, most likely you are having to adjust to some (or a great deal of) lack of mobility, coupled with managing pain. You may be worrying about going back to work, managing medical bills, paying your regular bills, and stressing over exactly what to say to insurance adjusters who may be calling before you even get back home. This can be an extremely challenging time if you are hurting, your car is damaged, and you aren’t sure where to turn. You may be experiencing a great sense of isolation and even hopelessness, especially if the other party’s insurance company is giving you a hard time.
It is in your best interest to hire a skilled attorney from a firm like Heintz & Becker as quickly as possible. Not only can they give you excellent legal advice and help guide you through the rest of the process if there is a case, a car accident attorney will be able to take over all communications with the insurance company; in fact, it is best not to answer any questions from the other side’s insurance company at all if you can help it.
Most of us are not in car accidents very often, thankfully (although statistics show most people will experience at least one in their lifetime) so you may be at a complete loss for what criteria to seek in hiring an injury attorney. Here are some helpful tips to get you started:
- Ask for referrals. Your friends and family may be a wealth of information in this area.
- While licensing is a must and education is obviously required, before you get too snobby about what law school an attorney attended, ask for a snapshot of what is most important: their track record, and training and experience.
- Does a prospective injury attorney have a history of going to court and winning—or do they almost always settle (some will even tell you that they don’t go to court)? If you want an attorney who is going to fight for your rights, a good record in court is critical!
- Do they represent accident victims and insurance companies? Seek out a company that is not playing both sides. Your attorney should be specialized in protecting the victims.
- How accessible are they? If you have been injured and are going through a difficult time, the last thing you want to do is hire a legal professional who will be difficult to get through to when you need them. Will they be handling your case, or will you usually be working with their paralegal?
- Listen to your intuition. Does this attorney seem like they are sincere in helping you? While you certainly cannot get to know someone completely in just one or two office appointments, it is important to have a comfortable rapport with your attorney, open communication, and a realistic attitude about the case.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, contact the attorneys at Heintz & Becker. We’ve helped victims from Bradenton, Sarasota, and all over Florida get compensation for their damages and medical expenses after accidents. Call us for a free consultation now at 941-748-2916 or contact us online. We are here to help!
All blogs are written on behalf of Heintz & Becker for informational purposes. These articles should not, however, be considered legal advice, or in any way responsible for creating an attorney/client relationship.